Tomatoes are a great source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Did you know that they can even reduce the signs of aging? Here are some other surprising facts about tomatoes you probably didn't know:
- Tomatoes are originally from Peru, and it was Hernan Cortes (Spanish conquistador) who introduced them to Europe. Later on, they became part of the daily diets of Spanish sailors and soldiers.
- The first tomatoes introduced to Europe were actually yellow, not red. That's why they used to call them golden apples.
- Italians used the tomatoes as table center pieces back in the XVII y XVIII centuries.
- The US and Mexico are the top exporters of tomatoes, and China is the top producer.
- There are more than 10,000 varieties of tomatoes.
- The most popular uses of tomatoes in recipes are: pizza, lasagna, and pico de gallo.
- The cuisines that use most tomatoes are the Italian and Mediterranean.
- If you are thirsty, eat a tomato! Why? They are actually 95% water.
- Put some tomato slices on your sunburns to heal them faster.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene, which sometimes reduces by 50% the probability of getting various types of cancer, including breast cancer.
We hope you learnt something new about tomatoes. Remember that there are tons of tomato recipes out there, including easy ones such as this vegan marinara sauce.